Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunday: Wood's of Holly, Lakes of Silver, and Sunshine Eternal...

Man, that title makes it seem like this post is going to be so legit. (sorry, it's not)

Sunday was a day of days for me. You see, usually Hollywood and it's surrounding areas make me uneasy, and I don't usually find extreme joy in being in that area. But I think I got new eyes or something yesterday, because for some reason, I was totally intrigued and enchanted with those areas.

First, I went to meet up with a teacher from high school, Todd Davis, who I've not seen since 2003. We met at a place called the Casbah Cafe, and it was so funkally cool.


They have such a diversity of what's going on in there, and you can just feel the creativity flowing from the people who normally inhabit it. (that's hard to say)
So Todd and I sat down over some chai and caught up on what we've been doing, how so-and-so is, and various future plans. Then, I found myself being brave (for me, at least), and I was able to ask him about what he has learned in his relationship with his wife. (This is something I've been asking many a person or couple lately.) The main words that stuck with me were, "It's the hardest thing to do...but in turn, also the best thing." (A lot of other insight came at those ellipses). It was really good for me to hear.

Then he took me to his secret studio, in a very secretive location, and showed me some of his paintings:



It was an excellent, excellent time just talking and learning from Todd. (and it only cost me $50. (silverlake parking ticket. well worth it, i say)

Then I went to Ameoba Records for an hour and a half, which wasn't nearly long enough, and I limited myself to only four purchases, which came out to $25. (Gotta love the used section.) I bought: The Almost, Patrick Park, Tally Hall, and Sunny Day Real Estate.

Next, I went over to my friends Rob and Sarah's place. They helped start a church plant in Hollywood called, Hollywood Church, and it is totally legit. (there's that word again) They moved into the heart of Hollywood to help grow it, and that TOTALLY inspires me, and just adds to the enchantment of that area. (I don't know why it's enchanting to me now. seriously)

Anyway, they have a Film Society that meets once a month, and I told him I was going to be in the area, so I could swing by. We watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is one of my top 5 favorite films.


We discussed and analyzed ideas from the film for like 45 minutes afterwards, which I absolutely loved. We essentially discussed what happens after the film ends, and came up with a lot of interesting theories and ideas for what we're supposed to see, realize, embrace, or learn from this film. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but if you'd like to talk about it, I'd love to talk about it with you.

After that, I drove down to La Mirada to stay with my former roommate, current friend, and world traveling associate Chad. I am attending the ACSI Teacher convention at the Anaheim Convention Center on Monday and Tuesday, and so Chad's room will be my hotel of sorts for the duration of the convention. I'll post about that a little later, though.

Anyway, Sunday was really cool and growing for me, because my first instinct would not to have done all that stuff by myself. But I did, and I'm really glad I did. Also, my newest quote of inspiration is this:

Oh, do not ask 'what is it?' Let us go and make our visit.

T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

It was on the menu of the Casbah Cafe.

No comments: