Saturday, December 13, 2008

Show and Tell...

Here are some things for show and tell:

I made my soccer team run to my house and back to school on Wednesday. I told them, "Ok guys, I left my watch and chapstick at home, so we've got to go get them." So, we ran 2.14 miles to my house, I made them wait outside on the lawn, and we ran 2.14 miles back to school. Here they are in the front yard as I was inside.




Next for show and tell, here is the new Thrice dvd, which is a complete 25-song set they performed at the House of Blues, Anaheim on May 28th of this year. It was the night after some friends and I saw them. It is the dvd, and two cd's of the whole live show, for only $14.99 at Best Buy! (last minute gift idea for the Thrice fan in your family) Fans will appreciate the diverse set list containing songs from The Illusion of Safety, The Artist in the Ambulance, Vheissu, and Alchemy Indexes. (Sorry, no Identity Crisis or First Impressions)



Next, these are my first batch of "Thank You" cards I received from students at my school. I went to Catalina with them as a counselor, and I got these from them after the weekend was over. It was a really rough and confusing weekend, so to get these was very nice.



Next, I may have mentioned this before, but I was finally able to read the short story/writing/account that inspired Thrice's "The Artist in the Ambulance." It comes from Al Burian's Burn Collector, and is quite an interesting read. One definitely must use discernment in reading any of Burian's works, but this one was very intriguing, looking at how society needs different sorts of people. That is, an ambulance driver has a very clear cut job: to drive people to the hospital. He goes, picks up, drives, delivers. Done. An artist, however, has a unique calling to create some kind of beauty or thought-provoking 'things' (whatever medium of art you choose), that will lift up and inspire those who see or encounter it. Maybe one sounds better than the other, but the fact of the matter is that society needs both.


Finally, here is something I have compiled over the past 8 years or so. You see, I prefer to buy cd's. I like going to the store, picking it up, paying for it, going home, opening it, putting it in my cd player, and looking through the liner notes as I listen to it. I like to look at the artwork they include with it, and appreciating the packaging. I just like having the tangible. So anyways, I like saving the little label that goes on the top of it, and I put them on this one notebook I have. So here's what those look like. Keep in mind, these aren't all of the labels, as sometimes I forget, or the cd won't come with it. But I like this little collection I have going.




In other news, we have one week of school left before Christmas break, I watched Elf and Muppet Christmas Carol in the past two days, and I will be joining my brother to play with his church worship team this Sunday.

What's up with you?